Old May 5th 04, 06:42 AM
Ed Cannon

Default An object visible in the daytime. Can you help?

Skywise (Brian) wrote:

"Robert Davies" wrote

[snip] I am
intrigued by an object that can be seen quite clearly in the
daytime. I am situated at High Onn, Staffs and the object is
approx 70 degrees azimuth, bearing 200 degrees. Can anyone
tell me what it is.

Need more information.

[snip]

But, I'm going to make a bet that it was Venus. It is very bright
right now and if one manages to look in the right direction it
is easily visible in the daytime.

[snip]
Brian

First, Robert, azimuth is the same as bearing, a compass direction,
and altitude or elevation means the angle up from the horizon, with
the horizon being zero and straight up being 90.

I set HomePlanet for London, England, at 15:30 May 4 UTC, and Venus is
a very good match, about altitude/elevation 70, azimuth/bearing 205.

My sister first taught me to see Venus in the daytime, maybe 15 years
ago, but currently I haven't managed to remember to try when the
weather has been favorable.

A couple of years ago I saw a report online somewhere by someone in
England who said that he saw Jupiter in the daytime.

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)