Old September 13th 16, 01:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Evidence for the existence of God

On 13/09/2016 02:21, Quadibloc wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 1:25:06 PM UTC-6, Gary Harnagel wrote:

I'm afraid I've exposed you to evidence for which you will be held
accountable one day.

If God is just, given the quality of the evidence you have supplied so far, it
would not make sense to hold him "accountable" to a great extent.

The minimalist mathematical religion has just two axioms which it shares
with all proselytising "our God is better than yours" religions.

Axiom 1: All people not believing in The One True Religion(TM) will burn
for eternity in hellfire.

Axiom 2: It is the duty of all true believers in The One True Religion
to minimise suffering.

They find it very easy to get from there to applying any finite amount
of torture in this world to convert the misguided souls who do not
believe in TOTR. The Spanish inquisition were particularly good at it
and had invented a version waterboarding (toca) long before the CIA.

ISTR It appeared in the SciAm Mathematical Games column in the 1980's.

Even within the same nominal faith Catholics and Protestant Christians
and Sunni and Shia Moslems have been at each others throats through
history since they fractured on their interpretation of sacred scripts.

Bhuddists are somewhat more laid back as are polytheists that tended to
add any new deities they encountered to their existing Pantheon.

This sort of thing, instead, is what suggests that organized religion is a scheme
to use emotional manipulation to control people's minds.

John Savard

Organised religion is a jam tomorrow promise for the proletariat that
supported the Divine Right of Kings in return for kick-backs.

Not all monarchs played ball. Henry VIII was the original lead theif off
church and monestary roofs (though he prefered their silverware).

Regards,
Martin Brown