Old May 25th 07, 01:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jonathan

Default ....Burt Rutan RIPS the "Vision" in recent speech... 05-06-07

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2007 18:51:29 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Watch the video, its great fun. Rutan is a fun speaker. While one
might not agree with everything he says, he has lots of interesting
points and he expresses them well.

His critiquie isnt aimed at VSE, he never mentions this specifically,

The only time he referred to the Vision he called it the
Bush 'Doctrine', dripping with contempt, calling
it 50 years spent deliberately learning nothing new.

OK, so he's politically naive.

Naive describes those like yourself that believe
the Vision will outlast this administration.

Why should we be surprised? He's an
aircraft designer,

That's like calling Lindbergh a pilot. True but grossly
incomplete. And deliberately so on your part, belittle
him and you can dismiss his views.

not a policy analyst.

(FWIW, you are obviously neither.)

Ok, so you require certain titles and degrees
behind opinions before you'll respect them.
If your heroes, such as Rutan and Hanks turning
their backs on the Vision aren't enough.
What about a NASA researcher like
Dr. Geoffrey A. Landis? Rather well known
in both technical and sci-fi circles.
http://mit.edu/aeroastro/www/people/landis/landis.html

Well it appears he spent last week with those kooks over
in Cambridge talking about Space Solar Power.
http://web.mit.edu/space_solar_power/Participants.html

I know, he's just another rube teacher right?

This policy you dismiss is making a comeback.
BIt by bit, it's gaining steam, I can smell it.
And there's still a year and a half to the next
election.