Old September 10th 17, 11:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Hurricane season

I suppose it is because there hasn't been a major hurricane in some time along with blanket news coverage that people are being educated into hurricanes and how atmospheric and sea temperature conditions influence size,duration and intensity.The missing part of the narrative is the seasonal appearance of warm waters in the hurricane region that fuels these storms and that is where the motions of the Earth enters the topic (apart from rotation/spiral of the storms). The price of RA/Dec observing is catastrophic for the inhabitants of our planet for it blocks appreciation of the links between the motions of the Earth and large scale events like hurricanes, Arctic sea ice development and other topics. I urge those who can to keep RA/Dec observing as nothing more than a convenience born of the calendar system and not use it to define the motions of the Earth.