Old May 20th 05, 12:49 PM

In article , Charles Francis
writes:

This was my conclusion too. There is a very broad based letter of
intent, which almost anyone with an interest in the advance of science
would be pleased to sign. Bondi is near the top of the list.

Perhaps the list is in alphabetical order? :-)

I think it probably is reasonable to say that there is a crisis in
cosmology, with a range of observations yielding uncomfortable or
unexplained results - e.g.

missing mass,

I never considered this a problem. Why should most matter be luminous?

MOND,

The jury is still out on this one.

Pioneer acceleration,

I haven't been following this too closely. Is there actually a
consensus that there is a problem (whatever its solution might be)?

accelerating expansion,

Again, not really a problem. It was more an accident of history that at
the time before it was discovered, most people were setting lambda to 0
in the Friedmann equations for no good reason.

and now the ageing problem has again reared its
ugly head with the observation of mature galaxies at z=1.4.

This is in a different league entirely, since the physics of galaxy
formation is not nearly as clear-cut as the other stuff. (I don't
remember who it was---James Binney?---who coined the term
"gastrophysics" for this.)

But simply
saying "current thinking is wrong" and coming up with any old guff in
its stead isn't going to help towards a solution. Especially as "any old
guff" usually means "I don't understand this aspect of relativity,
therefore relativity is wrong".

Right.