Old December 21st 03, 03:46 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Space Program Needs The Right Stuff

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:39:12 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

By designing so that meltdown is impossible. Dyson has discussed
this.

impossible to melt down==impossible to design, at least for
water-cooled reactors. Better to say "would not melt down given a
design worst-case scenario failure."

What I should have said is "impossible to get into a runaway
reaction."

Even before the FAA, we saw airplanes lost to operator, maintenance,
design, and construction problems. After the FAA, we see airplanes
lost to the same cause. The FAA has changed what exactly?

Increased costs, and suppressed innovation.

A good example is the Visionaire Vantage.

An excellent example. Which is why it's surprising that Burt wants
AVR to regulate spaceflight.