Old October 14th 15, 09:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

Default Dangers of Global Warming

On 13/10/2015 16:30, Uncarollo2 wrote:
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 10:12:30 PM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
Since it would take a long time before we have to worry about New York flooding,
other than maybe having tornadoes and hurricanes slightly more often, which could
be just a coincidence, it seemed as if the major noticeable consequences of
global warming would simply be the failure of food crops in tropical countries...

which, sadly, could easily be ignored when we read of it in our newspapers.

However, this news item

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/ar...ate-change.htm

warns that climate change could have more devastating global consequences.

Of course, it is difficult to reduce energy use in the way that is often
advocated as the way to limit carbon emissions. We need a strong economy - and
the kind of industrial capacity that supports adequate military capability to
defend liberty from its many foes.

But, as I've pointed out, that is hardly an insoluble problem. There's such a
thing as nuclear power - and breeding fuel from Uranium-238 and Thorium-232
should give us plenty of time to solve the more difficult problem of fusion power.

John Savard

I do my daily commute to work and back in my Chevy Volt using only electricity.
It consumes a mere 200 watts per mile at a cost of less than 1 cent

per mile.

Units! It cannot do any number of watts/mile. From published figures I
reckon a Tesla typically uses about 400Whr = 1.5MJ per mile eg

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod..._Model_S.shtml

All courtesy of the Com Edison Byron Nuke plant and local windmills.
I get to work just as fast as the guy in the Porsche SUV while he gets
a measly 8mpg in his gas hog.

I fill up every night at my friendly 110 volt plug in my garage and next
morning the "tank" is full again, ready to covey me another 45+ miles.

Which is fine if you never have to drive any real distance.

I have great torque and nothing spews out the tailpipe, there is not
a series of explosions pushing this vehicle forward, just the application
of Maxwell's equations and some magnets doing their work silently and

very efficiently.

There is some quite nasty battery chemistry involved and battery
capacity is not exactly stellar nor is long term life expectancy.

In the future would I consider going back to a gasoline car? Never!
Ask any Volt owner and to a person they will tell you the same thing.
Right now brand new ones are selling for less than $20k at our local

dealer.
Pretty good deal all around if you ask me.

How are they making a profit on them at that price?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown