Old November 24th 16, 06:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Emdrive might change the law of inertia (for the Earth too!)

Look, a 60 meter diameter sphere has a projected area of 2827.4 square meters. That's 0.6987 acres. Now using the Coanda effect, to accelerate air using ionic means, to a speed that permits lifting 180 metric tons (1765.2 kN) means that at 5,000 meters with an air density of 0.82 kg/m3 - we have a velocity of 39.1 m/sec - 140 km/hr - to produce suffiicent lift. That's 90,467.7 kg/sec mass flow rate. This implies a jet power of 40.69 MW! Vastly less than a neutrino rocket! This is supplied by 14.3 grams of positronium per year! 1 kg of positronium supplies a home for 70 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PBWtV1kRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9m6KzRMWnA

1.86 billion homes - with an average population of four persons - supports 7.50 billion persons. Flying homes leave the surface uninhabited, a nature preserve, to be enjoyed by all.

At two gees - the acceleration you feel when a plane rotates into flight mode - you can go to any point on the planet in less than 34 minutes! Top speed is twice escape velocity, and with positronium as a power source, this isn't a problem whatever!

D = 20000 * (T/33.66)^2
T = 33.66 * (D/20000)^.5

where D is distance in km and T is time in minutes. So, it takes 2.38 minutes to travel 100 km at 2 gees.

This turns the entire Earth into a global village. Homes of course can move anywhere they like, and enjoy any sort of scenery, free of the Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_MBcwkv6w

Such aerial abodes may also boost anywhere in the solar system; where we can wander anywhere, as we wish; boosting at one gee with neutrino/photonic rockets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6goNzXrmFs