Old June 15th 04, 08:15 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Default Sci.astro.research experiment for astro.amateur

Oriel36 wrote:

This is an opportunity for astronomers to correct a very old
astronomical error from 1677.It requires only a stopwatch and a
sighting of a star over the course of two axial rotations of the Earth
and demonstrates that the axial rotation of the Earth through 360
degrees is not and cannot be 23 hours 56 min 04 sec as almost all
commentators indicate.

Man, you win the booby prize; there are a lot of nuts out there but you
really are a special species all your own. I say this in all sincerity:
seek professional help. There are people who can help you.

Show of hands: how many people out there think that since 1677, with all
the astronomers who have lived, and all the telescopes that have come
exactly to the right location in the sky when commanded, and through all
the successful satellite launches, nobody, and I mean nobody, but our
own Oriel36, has ever noticed that the Earth spins at a different rate
than we had all thought it did? Stopwatches ready now!

Anyone...? Anyone...? Minibrain? N*ncy? No, not even you? Oh well.

My own observation: the thing that ties all these nuts together, whether
they be juviniles seeking attention, mentally ill, or just plain stupid:
extraordinary hubris.

After all, to be a true nut one must stand alone in knowing THE TRUTH in
a sea of billions of people, not one of whom gets it.

Must be pretty lonely, but in the end very gratifying to know you are
the smartest person on the entire planet...