Old February 18th 19, 03:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
corvastro

Default Comet P/46

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:56:28 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:31:01 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:55:15 -0800 (PST),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

I had no problem seeing it a few nights ago with averted vision. Found
it first in binoculars (huge and bright), then visually. So yeah, as
it brightens, it's likely to be an easy naked eye object under
reasonably dark skies.

My star chart shows 69/p Taylor another comet is close to 46/p?
69/p mag 13, much harder to see, I think!

Much harder is right - an 8" scope will see down to about 13.3 magnitude with dark skies.

And remember, since the coma is diffuse, the practical magnitude is much worse, so even a 10" scope might not be enough.