Old May 21st 08, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default Phoenix Lands on Mars this Sunday!!!

wrote in message
On May 20, 7:46 pm, Damon Hill wrote:
Somebody throw the Great Martian Ghoul a treat, and distract it!

--Damon

I grit my teeth alot thinking about leaving the womb of landing bags
and going to thrusters. I think about the landscape that sorrounded
the Vikings and how lucky they were, with that technique. It would be
worth it all to see ice and organics under the camera or in the
results..........Doc

I saw the NASA TV media briefing on the landing a couple of days ago. The
reason for using thrusters instead of air bags is that the bags have
limitations on how much mass they can land.