Old October 22nd 04, 08:25 PM
Alex Terrell

(AA Institute) wrote in message . com...

So you're saying bring in a small number of asteroids, one at a time,
then somehow use them as rocket fuel to build up toward a bigger
object? I don't understand this idea, please explain.

Exactly.

This is based on the premises:
1. A mission can be launched from High Earth Orbit that can bring back
some 50 times its own mass in NEO material.
2. This material can be converted into larger retrieval missions, and
a critical element of this is the ability to manufacture solar panels.
3. That the population of smaller NEOs is much higher than that of
large NEOs, and some can be brought back (to HEO) with a delta V of a
few 100 m/s.

In more detail, something I did a few years back:

http://www.geocities.com/alexterrell.../Routemap4.doc

or via the intro if the above link doesn't work:

http://www.geocities.com/alexterrell/Space_Profits.html

Alex