Old April 25th 18, 12:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Space X 2nd stage recovery

In article , says...

On 4/24/2018 7:10 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
I'm glad they're working on upper stage recovery. My guess is that
BFR/BFS will take a bit longer than Elon's aspirational schedule
products. As such, Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy will remain the workhorses
of SpaceX for many years to come. Anything they can do to cut their
costs increases the cash they can funnel into BFR/BFS development.

I am of the opinion that the existing F9 and F9H architectures will be
(crew-wise) underutilized. In a perfect world, a "white knight" would
step forward and say, "Look we love what you have flying already. And we
want to build our own (crewed) space program around it." That WK *could*
be NASA, but thanks to politics (and SLS) its likely going to have have
to be either business, academia or another country. Politics makes all
things complicated. But if an ally (like Australia) came forward, esp.
if they not only came with a checkbook but with a request for contract
to have SpaceX build an Australian launch complex with them....

But let's see what Bridenstein can pull off.

I'm putting little faith in significant changes at NASA over the next 3
to 7 years. And by significant, I mean at the very least canceling SLS.

What might be possible is Bigelow Aerospace finally launching a
commercial station. If they do that, they'll need crew and cargo
flights to keep it running. SpaceX will surely have the lowest costs,
partly due to reuse of Dragon 2 and partly because they're not Boeing.

Jeff