Old June 1st 15, 02:19 AM posted to sci.space.science
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Planetary Society Blog for Saturday 30 May 2015

Le 5/31/15 6:35 PM, David Spain a écrit :
On 5/31/2015 9:07 AM, The Planetary Society via sci.space.science Admin
wrote:
Planetary Society Blog

For LightSail Test Mission, Waiting is the Hardest Part

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason...dest-part.html

The Planetary Society's LightSail spacecraft is now entering its second
week of silence.

Shades of the old ordeal with the Mars Climate Orbiter. I read elsewhere
that the probe launched with a known issue in its software.
That being that live ping transmissions from the spacecraft were being
logged in memory, until that memory was exhausted and then the software
crashed. Seems unlikely they will be able to revive this craft unless
there was a secondary control channel to allow remote restart of the
processor. That appears to not be the case here. I'd say this one is
one and done.

What I find of note is that there was apparently no use of a watchdog
timer. That would have forced the probe to restart on its own once the
hardware watchdog triggered. Seems like a rookie mistake. Ah well,
hopefully the Planetary Society didn't blow the budget on this one.
Another kickstarter folks?

What a bummer! I like the light sail concept. I hope they build another
one with better success.

Alain Fournier