Old October 4th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

Default Wave On a Pond

"Double-A" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 4, 5:52 am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
Best to keep in mind pond waves,and space waves only relate to each
other in our minds. Reality is they have great differences Bert

Pond waves move our over a two dimensional surface while space waves,
such as light, move out into a three dimensional realm. That is why
their energy diminishes at a different rate.

Double-A

I'm still trying to actually picture it in my mind.
Water waves are transverse like light waves, but
as you say, water waves ride the sort of two-
dimensional surface of a body of water. Light
waves OTOH are emanated from a body in ALL
directions in three dimensions. You on the West
coast of the US, and Bert on the East coast, can
watch the same star at the same time because
of this. And that star might be being watched
by somebody in a star system on the other side
of that star.

So accepting the nature of spacetime to be a
high-grade energy that is modulated (waved)
by this starlight, i wonder how precisely to
picture it. It seems to be as hard to picture this
as it is to picture the rubber mat/bowling ball
analogy of curved space. We usually see this
depicted with only one mat. Yet we know deep
down that there must be infinite "mats" around
every body.

So how would *you* picture the light signal as
it vibrates the SPED?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--