Old June 6th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Default Astro: NGC 5033 another one

What a fine image Rick... detail and lots of signal.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
I've diddled with this one long enough. I'm back to version 3 after
about 20 others didn't look as good. The raw data was so weak I was
rather shocked when the image first came together. It wasn't at all
what I expected. Usually with weak data the color is awful and takes a
lot of effort to get back into something I can live with. In this case
it was dead on first try. It's been working with the faint arms that
has been my reason for redoing it so many times. In any case I think it
one of the prettiest I've done and to think I almost trashed the data!

This guy screamed to be rotated from the normal north up, east to the
left I use to post most images. It seemed far more three dimensional
when rotated with east up and north to the right. So I gave in and
rotated it.

There is a very odd looking galaxy well east of NGC 5033, near the top,
NGP9 F269-0544537. I can find no information on it, not even a
classification. It seems to be two bright orange blobs with a faint
bluer blob in the middle. Just the opposite of what I'd expect. The
dwarf spiral between it and NGC 5033 is LEDA (PGC) 166160. I didn't try
to identify any of the other smudges.

14" LX200R @ F/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME, Image scale is 1.015" per pixel.

Rick