Old March 27th 09, 02:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Simple Online FITS File Viewer?

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:37:38 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Where can I find one?

Try DS9, http://hea-www.harvard.edu/RD/ds9/ . It's a very capable little
viewer, with versions for just about any platform you might be using.

Not installed? How does that work?

By that, I just mean that no complex installation is required. There are
no shared DLLs or libraries that need to be present, and nothing that
needs to be registered with the operating system. For the Windows
version, there is just the executable and a DLL that needs to be in the
same directory.

I'm not familiar with flash drive capabilities. How does one execute off of
a flash drive? What is special about such a drive in this case?

They're just portable USB disk simulators- you must know about these?
From a practical standpoint, just imagine a 1GB (or so) floppy. I only
mentioned them because the main reason somebody might want a web-based
viewer as you requested is so that it can be used on different machines,
where no local viewer is installed. But if you have DS9 on a USB flash
drive (on your keychain, perhaps), you can simply run the program from
any computer.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com