Old August 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Llanzlan Klazmon

Default Universe Might be Bigger and Older than Expected

"Raving Loonie" wrote in
ups.com:

"A project aiming to create an easier way to measure cosmic distances
has instead turned up surprising evidence that our large and ancient
universe might be even bigger and older than previously thought.

If accurate, the finding would be difficult to mesh with current
thinking about how the universe evolved, one scientist said.

A research team led by Alceste Bonanos at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington has found that the Triangulum Galaxy, also known as M33, is
about 15 percent farther away from our own Milky Way than previously
calculated.

The finding, which will be detailed in an upcoming issue of
Astrophysical Journal, suggests that the Hubble constant, a number that
measures the expansion rate and age of the universe, is actually 15
percent smaller than other studies have found. ... "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200608...htbebiggerando
lderthanexpected

That is utter bull****. M33 is gravitationally bound to the Milky Way and
other local group galaxies. If you tried to use M31 for this you would get
a negative Hubble constant.

KMlazmon.