Old March 4th 05, 09:50 PM
Tom Kent

"Matthew Hagston" wrote in
nk.net:

There's an idea that's been going through my head dealing with
creating artificial gravity, before you think troll just stay with me
here. It deals with two of Einstein's papers; the first stating as an
object speed accelerates closer towards the speed of light, it's mass
increases, the second states mass is directly related to gravity. So
Take an object like a large super-conductive disk, inside a vacuum to
reduce friction, and spin it. If you can make it spin fast enough (up
towards the speed of light) you should be able to create gravity with
out having the real mass required. Creating a sort of virtual mass so
to speak.

I realize there must be something wrong with my logic because this
seems like such a simple solution, so I invite some criticism here.

I'm afriad the disk would fly apart due to overwhelming centripital forces
far before anything relavistic was achieved. There just aren't materials
with that kind of tensile strength :-(

Tom