Old December 16th 03, 02:48 PM
William C. Keel

Default iridium x 2

Craig MacDougal wrote:
Hi Gang,

Since it was a clear evening, I checked for Iridium Flares on Heavens-Above.
I was surprised to see that there were 2 happening separated by 15 seconds
of time and about 2 degrees of angle. What's more, the direction was such
that I could watch it from a south facing window while staying inside.

My lovely wife likes to watch them, especially when she doesn't have to put
on shoes. So, we met at the window at the appointed time and waited.

They were less than 30 degrees high, so the flares were longer in duration
than an overhead event. That meant that they were both visible at the same
time for a span of 5 seconds or so. It was pretty nifty to see the 2 flying
in formation like that. The 2 were #28 and #90. I'm guessing that the latter
one was placed there as a backup.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Interesting, I saw a different pair from a few hundred km NW of you in
Tuscaloosa, about 0032 UT. I saw numbers 95 and 31, with both visible
at once for maybe 20 seconds. When you see doubles like that, one is
generally a backup in lower orbit (visibly moving faster). I got a shot
once showing twin Iridium flares and the trail of ISS.

The backups are noteworthy in that if you're on the centerline their
flares can reach magnitude -9.

Bill Keel