Old March 3rd 21, 12:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default First-ever space hotel slated to be operational by 2027

In article mn.13577e536828663f.127094@snitoo,
says...

Jeff Findley pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
In article ,
says...
See:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/01/first-...ional-by-2027/

By 2025? I call bull****. Actually, I call bull**** on the entirety of
this.

Well, China's station ... admittedly a lot smaller ... is only supposed
to take a year to build, starting this year.

And is made of a small number of metal modules which are docked for
assembly. This "space hotel" looks to have 24 huge Bigelow style
inflatable modules. As far as I know, Bigelow Aerospace is pretty much
defunct. They let pretty much all their staff go some time ago. You'd
likely be hard pressed to get one module out of them, let alone 24.

Also, spinning the station is going to exert large forces on the docking
assemblies. This will require a bit of engineering to stiffen them up.

Maybe Orbital Assembly has cribbed some of Jeff Bezos' plans for ONeill
habitats.

Maybe. But looking at ISS, the last spacewalk took them a full day to
install some new hardware for new roll out solar arrays. Assembling
something as huge as a "space hotel" by spacewalks would be nearly
impossible with today's EVA suits.

What's lead time on a Bigelow module versus an MPLM or a Cygnus?
[Ignoring the time to recall furloughed employees.]

As I said earlier, Bigelow Aerospace is no longer an active company.

Jeff