Old October 21st 19, 01:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default A conversation with Elon Musk

On 2019-10-21 7:46 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

Also, the goal is to lower the cost of access to space. Cheap stainless
steel allows for that far more than something "exotic" and more
expensive like carbon fiber composites with heavier thermal protection.

Jeff

Jeff I have to agree with all the excellent points you made in the
that is absolutely CENTRAL to the SpaceX design philosophy is the
ability to *rapidly* turn around design changes. There is plenty of
experience and skill set working stainless. The ability to manufacture
and *re-manufacture*, and *tweak* using stainless cannot be
underestimated. The techniques for working stainless and other forms of
steel have been worked through over decades. Esp. in the area of
Brownsville and the East Coast of Texas' gas and oil fields. I doubt
you'll find many construction folks out there with vast experience
working ccarbon. This is really really key.

I love the idea of polishing the outer hull of SH/SS with WD-40. LoL.

Also now would be a good time to remind everyone of another prototype
that used stainless steel. The XB-70 Valkyrie. It actually flew and had
the capability of incredible speeds for a bomber (Mach 3+). But too
costly to develop and deploy. It's function was eventually evolved into
and superseded by the slower, but more capable B1 Lancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...XB-70_Valkyrie

Dave