Old April 26th 04, 09:17 AM
gswork

(Tony Flanders) wrote in message m...
(gswork) wrote in message . com...

Of which the 30x70 was priced (albeit in Euro's) quite well and seemed
to have features desirable for stargazing.

It would need a mount for maximum utility, not so much the weight but
at x30 and a more modest FOV the image would be jumpy.

I don't think you understand! 10x50 binoculars clearly need a
mount for maximum utility.

Then so should my own 8.5x44 shouldn't they? Can't be *that* much
different from 10x50.

At 15x70, a mount stops becoming a
matter of utility, and starts to become more of a necessity.
At 30x70, hand-holding is utterly and totally out of the question.

I'd taken that as read (on the 30x70), with 15x70 i've seen posts
archived saying hand holding is possible for brief periosd and give
acceptable images.

Jumpy is the understatement of the year -- unviewable would be
much closer.

Really, really, really, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
You want high powers, you get a mount -- and a good one, too!
And a telescope will end up being much cheaper and more
convenient than binoculars. Why so reluctant to get a scope?

On that last point, cost. I can't really afford the kind of scope
that seems to be considered minimally useful and of the kind of
quality that won't just leave you feeling you're missing out. a high
quality 6" reflector or 3" refractor seems to be recommended, anything
less leading to a desire to upgrade within weeks, in which case why
buy two. I like the FOV and ease of use of binoculars too.

Not sure though, perhaps i should just give in and get a modest scope
then make it last anyhow, not like i'm going to get the extra years
appended onto my life just coz I waited is it !! I quite like
daytime viewing too and am impressed by every single thing posted on
various amatuer astrophotography sites (as in, "what you'll see"), so
a refractor around 3" should be ok for me. No need for extra
binoculars then.