Old September 3rd 03, 05:28 PM

Default Asteroid warning for 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:54:13 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

Should do well for the DVD sales of Armageddon and Deep Impact.

Well I am thinking about buying a hard hat...

Now on a serious note, i for one am rather glad to see warnings like
this being given.
I dont personally believe that 65 million years ago an asteroid wiped
out the Dinosaurs, But I do believe our arrogance will one day destroy
the planet.

Something like less than 1% of NASA's total budget is spent on
searching for objects coming this way, which in the great scheme of
things ( look at the moons impact craters) there is going to come a
day when something is going to come this way, and we will as usual be
totally unprepared for it.

Whilst we are currently making light of this message, if it someway
raises public awareness towards the possibility, and that it turn
causes Governments to give some serious thought about this happening,
then in the long run, astronomy comes out a winner

Looking for astro bits and eyepieces?
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/astrobitsandpieces
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/orpheus1959