Old October 3rd 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Erik Max Francis

Default Questions about "The High Frontier"

Troy wrote:

The concept I was thinking of is Niven's asteroid balloon. Take an
iron asteroid, place water tanks at the centre, spin asteroid on its
axis and bathe with concentrated sunlight from a solar mirror. Tank
explodes, inflates molten steel asteroid into a large habitat. Most
asteroids are just soft rubble piles anyway; they'd fly apart if you
spun them any faster than once every 2 hours. Some sort of melting has
to be done on the outer shell to stop one disintegrating;
additionally, internal structural bracing such as steel cables are
required to hold it together, especially if you want nice amenities
like dirt and artificial gravity.

This has always struck me as implausible. It's hard to see how most, or
even a few, nickel-iron asteroids would be uniform enough to make this
work without just fracturing during the process, wrecking the whole
enterprise.

San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
Come not between the dragon and his wrath.
-- Shakespeare, _King Lear_