Old November 15th 06, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Mary Pegg[_3_]

Default NASA Astronaut on Columbia Repair (and others)

The Guy In Ireland wrote:

"Story Musgrave's standing reentry really set a bad example in that
regard. "

Sorry whats that all about? Did he stand for a reentry and why did he?

From http://www.spacestory.com/flyingdr.htm :

"I was conducting my own experiment. The whole flight had been so totally
exhilarating and I was on such a high that I decided to stand throughout
re-entry. It's my nature to press and push, to go beyond what's expected. I
had my Hasselblad camera and I was taking some photos. Also, I wanted to
prove that you can stand while going from zero gravity back into gravity.
That's important if an astronaut ever has to leave the top deck and go
below to throw a switch or circuit breaker. I wanted to show that the
cardiovascular system doesn't have any problem going back into gravity and
that you don't have to be strapped down."

"My standing was smooth and steady, and it shows how the STS system is
maturing. We all had total confidence. Standing up throughout re-entry,
instead of being strapped down, was the perfect end to a perfect trip. I
was having fun, as always. "
--
Something like: "ntlworld" "com" "dot" "at" "marypegg"