Old February 11th 04, 08:46 PM
Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home)

Default Brad Guth is......

Am 11 Feb 2004 06:34:01 -0800 schrieb "Guth/IEIS~GASA":

Since there's no lunar atmosphere, just a few of those micrometorites
incoming every hour or so (plus loads of inbound dust bunnies at
perhaps 10km/s), thus essentially nothing sufficiently filtering out
the truly horrific UV spectrum. I'm wonderwing which if any UV filters
were applied, and/or included within those lenses (such as the
"UV-Sonnar 4.3/105")?

I did NOT write, that all these types of optics were used on moon's
surface. In fact was only the Biogon 60 used there; all other lenses
were dedicated for use in the CM or while space EVAs. E.g. the
UV-Sonnar was dedicated for astro-photographics, or the Tele-Tessar
for surveillance purpose out of orbit...

Thanks for your feedback. So, therefore no UV filters were applied to
the Biogon 5.6/60?

As my documentation (Engelhardt, W.: Fotografie im Weltraum 1, vwi,
Herrsching, Germany, 1980, ISBN 3-88369-011-2) 'says', no _extra_
filters were attached to the lenses - during the whole Apollo
programme (and while Mercury or Gemini). But I would not deny the
possibility, that filtering for only a special wavelength range was
maybe 'embedded' while constructing and/or building that special
lenses (some lenses were standard ones available to every normal
photographer). As a constructor, _I would_ have done that, simply to
get sharper images.

On lunar surface, with thick gloves, an astrounaut would not be able
to 'fiddle around' with attaching filters - even the aperture and
exposure time controls as well as the shutter release button got
extensions, so they could be handled easier.

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /