Old November 13th 03, 02:12 AM
Don Bruns

Default active vs adaptive optics

David Nakamoto wrote:

I don't know what is meant by "active." Is tracking an object automatically
active? Is changing the optics to "correct" for something active?

Adaptive to me means a method by which the optics can be changed to reduce
or eliminate seeing effects. By this definition, and by the fact that
SBIG's tilt-mirror system reduces low frequency "waves" seeing, it is an
adaptive system.

The key question here is whether or not "seeing" include telescope drive
errors. This certainly degrades image resolution, but I would apply the
term "active" optics to this improvement, and "adaptive" to
corrections of atmospheric turbulence.

Don Bruns