Old December 12th 16, 06:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Once We Have A Self Sustaining Mars Colony - Then What?

JF Mezei wrote:

Possible Mars exports:

- Cans filled with martian air. "Fresh CO2 from Mars".
- Bottled water

AKA: novelty items.

Heck, if Coke/Pepsi can market tap water as upscale water, surely
someone will market water from mars glaciers as something that is very
desirable.

It would make for an intreresting debate on whether humans should strip
materials from one planet to bring back to earth.

It just doesn't pay.

Can we steal a few rocks ? Extract a few kilos of unobtainium ? Ship
tonnes and tonnes of water back to earth ? Steal a planet's atmosphere
with giant "mega maid" to bring back to replenish earth's atmosphere ?

Uh, what needs 'replenished'?

For that matter, could be take over Mars and use it as a giant trash can
to dispose of all of earth's garbage and hazardous materials, spent
uranium ?

The Moon is better suited to that sort of thing, but it's still
hideously expensive trash.

territory."
--G. Behn