Old October 8th 07, 04:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.station
John Schilling

Default Moon Laws

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 07:09:05 +0100, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:

"Space Cadet" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All
Got this email from a friend of mine:

Hi all, I am working on a new lesson for my second graders focusing on
Moon Laws. If YOU were given the task of creating a constitution, laws,
bill of rights for people in a future lunar colony what would YOU
include? I'd love to have your input! Thanks,

My first thought is that doesn't the OST say or at least imply that
the country that launches an object/probe/spacecraft is responsible
for said object? And whatever rule of law applies to that country
would apply to said object?
Even if you would go with a privately funded moon colony. That
company would be based on some nation on Earth, and whatever laws
apply to that country would apply to the colony?
What about an international colony, would it be the country that funds
most of the colony? Or do international laws/treaties apply hear?
What is the setup for ISS?

Just my $0.02

Space Cadet

Given that any puncture of a habitat or space suit is potentially fatal for
all inhabitants, I'd definitely include in the constitution or body of law a
ban on private ownership of firearms.

Didn't we just have this discussion? A puncture of a habitat is only
"potentially fatal for all inhabitants" if you assume the inhabitants
are going to spend the next couple of days doing absolutely nothing
whatsoever about it. So, if you were administering a Terrestrial city,
would you insist on a ban on private ownership of matches?

I'm guessing no, but that you'd still be in favor of the ban on firearms.
Again, the legal and political environment in any future space colonies
is going to have a *lot* more to do with the people who decide to set up
the colony, than the nature of the colonial environment. Whatever laws
you want to impose on your neighbors, you'll find a reason to say those
law are particularly appropriate for your space colony.

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *