Old September 22nd 06, 06:48 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Cocca

Default Shuttle Pass at 5:50 AM

George Evans wrote:
I just made a naked eye observation of ISS and Shuttle pass. My location is
in Southern California. ISS was steady, Atlantis "appeared" to be tumbling
with two regular flashes with a period of about a second.

What could cause this?

The "flashing" that you saw was probably a result of the smoke that is
present in the atmosphere above Southern California from the wildfires
that have been burining in the area recently. I have noticed that even
stars seem to be twinkling much more distinctly since the fires
started.

Has anyone noticed a distinct increase in the visual magnitude of
Station with the addition of the P4 solar arrays?

Craig