Old July 21st 03, 02:15 PM
Volker Hetzer

Default Mars Dust

"Odysseus" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Volker Hetzer wrote:

Sounds interesting. Can this inference be generalized to all animals
that live in groups and have individuals assigned this "watcher" role?
Do chimpanzees have watchers in their natural habitat?

I don't know for sure, but many groups of social animals have members
with such roles. Ground-squirrel colonies have pretty obvious
'sentries' posted when they're out foraging. The point, though, is
that the chimp's behaviour was based on some kind of awareness of his
comrade's perceptions; I think most animals and birds give their
alarm cries instinctually, without considering who really needs
warning. You won't see a ground-squirrel doing a head-count before it
starts squeaking and flicking its tail as you approach.

That's exactly what I was driving at. I was trying to find out how the
behavior of the chimpanzee indicated this awareness, whereas similar
behavior of other animals does not (indicate awareness).
Are there any links on the web to this experiment?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker