Old November 16th 06, 08:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

Default NASA Astronaut on Columbia Repair (and others)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:19:50 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Obviously, if you put the sun on it, it will melt and evaporate.

It will take a while; it's slowly evaporating into the vacuum, and that
evaporation will cause it to cool down yet more.

....If evaporation were as rapid as this guy thinks it should be, we'd
have never heard of Halley's Comet, or anything else inside the Oort
Cloud.

In the case of the Shuttle's toilet icicle they ended up using the
Remote Manipulator Arm to knock it off after a couple of days.

....Ah, the great "Cosmic Space Turd". The wire stories for that event
were the first copy editing assignment I had at the _Deadly Texan_,
over 20 years ago. Damn thing came off not quite as easy as they
thought it would; IIRC it took two swipes to knock it off, which led
to quite a few comments about the thing being proof that Space Food
Sticks lead to constipation no matter what the digestive tract :-)

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [