Old October 25th 12, 11:19 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

Default Online tutor?

On Oct 25, 12:44*am, Martin Brown
wrote:

I remember being interested in astronomy too at about that age and the
main thing that frustrated me was that the star maps in books did not
include the planets! Obvious why when you know that they move about!
"Planet" literally means "wandering star".

And then came along an English clown called Newton who couldn't
comprehend that the 'wandering' nature of planets refers to
retrogrades and retrogrades are an illusion caused by the Earth's own
orbital motion between Venus and Mars and around the central Sun.A
teenager with the benefit of contemporary imaging and time lapse
footage can figure out what Isaac and his followers couldn't -

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

There's your wandering motion for you Brown and the same teenager
could probably tell you that Isaac's idiosyncratic view of retrogrades
is a technical non sequitur as it doesn't involve a hypothetical
observer on the Sun - only an intelligent observer who realizes he is
standing on a moving Earth ! -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct, sometimes
stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun they are
always seen direct,..." Newton

As a genuine astronomer,I can see what Isaac was trying to do with his
absolute/relative time,space and motion using that worthless idea of
retrogrades but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for somebody else to
ask what exactly he was up to and why it is catastrophically
disruptive for 21st century purposes.Apparently the English like their
iconic figures and certain sections of your nation seem terrified of
certain individuals then as now judging from the recent celebrity
exposure and Newton has such a grip on science that demonstrating what
he was actually doing looks like an assault on the English nation.

Wlliam Blake got it right even though he didn't know the technical ins
and outs of Newton's clockwork solar system approach which borrows
from Flamsteed's muddleheaded conclusion which takes a step too far
with a rotating celestial sphere of Ra/Dec.

"I turn my eyes to the Schools & Universities of Europe And there
behold the Loom of Locke whose Woof rages dire Washd by the Water-
wheels of Newton. black the cloth In heavy wreathes folds over every
Nation; cruel Works Of many Wheels I view, wheel without wheel, with
cogs tyrannic Moving by compulsion each other: not as those in Eden:
which Wheel within Wheel in freedom revolve in harmony & peace."
William Blake,Jerusalem

Cruel works indeed !,the cruelty will be returned if the English do
not deal with the mess which occurred within their borders and
specifically the train wreck involving astronomy and human
timekeeping.The Americans have already begun the recovery process-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDWHM00sZJc

BTW It would be nice to know if these replies are reaching
spacebanter.com and if the OP is still there.

I hope he hasn't been frightened off by Oriel36 blather.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown