Old December 9th 10, 10:06 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Falcon 9 - First stage to be recovered!

I thought the whole problem with first stage reuse was the ingress of salt
water into the mechanisms etc. Its a nice idea but might it not cost more
than a new one?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
ond.com...
On 9/12/2010 1:34 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In igpond.com,
says...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/002/status.html

Weather permitting.

From what I've read, they're uging NASA's SRB recovery ships for this.
It really makes sense to recover the first stage. Even if it's not able
to be reused, it can be inspected. Post flight inspection could reveal
problems with the luanch vehicle which would otherwise go unnoticed.

Jeff

Absolutely; I couldn't agree more. I've read that SpaceX does intend to
re-use the first stage.