Old January 4th 04, 08:58 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , seen in
news:uk.sci.astronomy, Stephen Tonkin
posted at Sun, 4 Jan 2004 11:21:37 :-

Mike Dworetsky wrote:
I find that asking a question about the explanation of the seasons
reveals that some still think perihelion is on June 21st.

Someone I was talking to, whose daughter was doing teacher training,
told me that this is what they were taught on their TT course. If
teachers are being told to teach this, it's not surprising that
prospective students believe it to be so (like the old QCA diktat that
the synodic month is 28 days).

I assume that not a great deal of science is covered in a TT course,
that only a small part of it is relevant to astronomy, and that some of
it may be right.

ISTM that the FAQ could contain a section on, or a link to a page in,
errors commonly taught or published in educational-type materials.

We had an example in September concerning the Brownies.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;