Old September 12th 16, 11:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Accident at Cape

"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...
Question: obviously, SpaceX will analyse its logs, photos, videos. But
for such an accident at the Cape, is there also a formal government
investigation ? I believe it is the FAA that does them ? or would it be
air force because it was on air force property or NASA because Nasa is
in charge for space flight ?

No. SpaceX owns the investigation. The vehicle wasn't in flight so
the Feds have no jurisdiction.

While that may be technically true, considering USAF and NASA are both
customers of SpaceX, it does not hurt to keep them both "in the loop" so
to speak.

Also, since I believe technically USAF still OWNS the pad, I'd be surprised
if they don't have some sort of jurisdiction.

Be surprised. Under FAA regulations the launch provider is the only
one with 'jurisdiction' over the investigation in cases with no
deaths, injuries, and no damage off the range.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."