Old April 1st 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default The Chandler Wobble

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why so modest?

You've lost me there I'm afraid. Who is being modest and in what context?

What is this thing with child's tops?
When was the lst time anyone saw one of them?

I believe a spinning top is an understandable analogy in trying to explain
the motions involved. I think the majority of people have seen one, at
least on television or whatever.

Is the analogy about the top of the toy or the pointy end? Does the
pointy end move or wobble? I can't remember.

In the case of a top, it is the top end that precesses about. In the cae of
the earth it is both poles, with the precessionary centre somewhere between
and shifting.

Almost stopping as in reaching a "point of dwell" as might be imagined
with the declination of the moon or sun? And observed in reciprocating
engines at top and bottom dead centres under a stroboscope.
Or almost stopping as in:
""Sun, be motionless over GibŽe·on, And, moon, over the low plain
of AiŽja·lon." Accordingly the sun kept motionless, and the moon
did stand still" ?

Almost stopping as in a period of more than 2 months out of the 14 month
cycle (as seen at the beginning of this year infact). Apparently irregular
and reasons unknown.

And a lot less likely than the unbelievable idea that the moon has the
power to raise enough miniscule particles of water to raise a tide,
without having the same ability to raise it all the way to the moon.

I think the math is fairly straightfoward - escape velocity would come into
play if we wanted to consider leeching at the level you describe. Binary
star systems can do it, but they have very much higher gravities than our
puny litle system.

The list of unproven theories like that is longer than you might be
expected to believe since no one has really looked at the subject as
far as I know.

I think you will find that a great many experts have pondered this anomaly
and continue to do so.

Give us endless articles about life on Mars and you can spend as much
time and money developing rockets and satellites and etc...
I wonder what the infrastructure for something like that would cost,
compared to something a lot more useful and even more mundane.

I think that may be what is considered to be the advancement of science via
the exploration of space. If we ran a poll, I'm sure we'd find thousands of
preferences of how such funds might be best used.

I also looked at the http://hpiers.obspm.fr/ site

Yes, a concise disaply of recent meanderings. The IERS provides a good
source of facts and figures on this topic.

Euhau, euhau, euhau! Zose sheez ateuing Fronjemane; zey are not zo
zurrendeure monkayz etr? Non?

I'll have a large glass of whatever you're on, my friend.
Cheers!