Old March 2nd 05, 05:35 PM
P T

I enjoyed your guide. It took me back to the launch I watched: it was
the first week of December, and I think it was 2001.

The launch I went to was scrubbed at least twice, maybe three times and
finally went off about 5 days after originally scheduled. If I had not
had a very flexible itinerary, I would have been out of luck.

You list several viewing sites, some tantalizingly close. I watched from
Titusville, ~10 miles away. I may be wrong, but I think that,
realistically, the closest than 99% - 100% of spectators can hope to get
is 6-7 miles, and only with planning and expense. Is it much better at 6
miles than 10 miles?

I can't argue your logic about morning launches, but my launch went up
just before sunset. I was beautiful to see the lingering smoke plume
high in the atmosphere, brilliantly lit by sunlight, as the day grew
dimmer on the ground.

I bet a night launch would be exciting too.
Pete