Old May 28th 21, 11:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Porcospino[_2_]

Default Are We Alone ?

On 2021-05-15, wrote:
that distances are FAR too great for any practical travel between
stars, even in the very unlikely event of traveling near light speed,

I imagine that you'll move the goalposts after this reply, but if we
traveled 'near light speed' the problem of distance would be essentially
solved due to relativistic time dilation. It's an often-cited factoid
that with constant acceleration, inching ever closer to the speed of
light, you could actually circumnavigate the whole visible universe in
just over fifty years (of course billions of years would have passed for
outside observers, but it works as an example).

I don't mean this to say that we /will/ travel near the speed of light,
but in the 'very unlikely event' it happens, you can go more or less
anywhere within a lifetime.