Old March 27th 21, 10:40 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

Default FTL is coming up fast

wrote on 27/3/21 9:24 am:
https://thedebrief.org/faster-than-light-travel-is-coming-at-us-faster-than-we-thought/

Faster-Than-Light Travel Is Coming At Us Faster Than We Thought

G.S.Jensen
The Debrief

... In 1994, Alcubierre published a paper that made him famous (in
the circles I run in, anyway), "The Warp Drive: Hyper-fast travel
within general relativity," in the journal Classical and Quantum
Gravity. Wait... `warp drive'? Like in Star Trek? Well, sort of,
yes. The term `warp drive' was first coined in John W. Campbell's 1931
science fiction novel Islands of Space, but no details of how such a
drive might function existed when Star Trek cribbed the term.

Nonetheless, Dr. Alcubierre is said to have told William Shatner that
his theory and selection of the term `warp drive' for it were directly
inspired by its use in the Star Trek franchise. I hope the esteemed
Mr. Shatner was duly flattered.

... Now suddenly, the Alcubierre warp drive concept is everywhere in
the news. As detailed here on The Debrief recently, engineers Jessica
Gallanis and Eytan Halm Suchard have filed a patent application for a
drive using the most current incarnation of the theoretical warp drive
(several scientists, most notably Dr. Harold White, have refined the
theory and significantly reduced the anticipated energy
involved). They envision putting together a team of experts who can
develop the materials required to build a working proof of concept,
but they currently lack the funding. Now that's a Kickstarter I'll
support.

No!! No! No, 'cause we all know (don't we? ;-P ) that FTL travel is
impossible, as we've been told (OVER and OVER AGAIN) here, by Mr
casagiannoni!! ;-P
--
Daniel