Old September 23rd 20, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Mach Thruster Update.

On Sep/23/2020 at 11:36, David Spain wrote :
On 9/23/2020 9:32 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"David Spain"Â* wrote in message ...

On 9/7/2020 8:20 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:

About throwing money at Alcubierre's drive, I wouldn't throw a tonne
of money at it, but if I could, I certainly would throw a negative
tonne of money at it :-)

Somehow I *knew* you were heading in this direction ....

Dave

Heading in this direction or heading negatively in that direction? :-)

I'm not sure direction is relevant when you've exceeded the speed of
money.

Dave

The speed of money? Where does that fit in the light-speed,
ludicrous-speed and plaid-speed scale?

As for using an Alcubierre drive, Serguei Krashnikov proposed a scheme
where only a few negative milligrams of exotic matter is needed to
transport small atoms at super-luminal speeds. The utility of
transporting small atoms like this would be more about transporting
information than about transporting the atoms themselves. So this brings
up the question: are atoms really the best option for transporting
information like this? Could an Alcubierre-Krashnikov drive be used to
transport photons faster than light? I don't think that the fact that
photons are massless is important here, the payload isn't accelerated at
all, it is the space around the payload which is warped. But if the
photon is a gamma ray, it is much smaller than an atom and volume does
seem to be severely restricted for such a drive. What would be the best
payload for such a drive?

Alain Fournier