Old July 4th 19, 12:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Falcon Heavy transporter-erector

In article ,
lid says...

On 19-07-01 03:10 , Fred J. McCall wrote:
Snidely wrote on Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:42:59
-0700:

Does anyone have more "size" data for the FH TE than that is 212 feet
tall?

I understand it is winched up the ramp at Pad 39A, and that
railroad-style rails are on the ramp, but only as guidance features.

Does it go from the assembly building to the ramp by being pulled by a
tractor? The pictures I've seen of a Falcon Heavy being transported
are either close enough to the rocket to not show a tow vehicle, or too
far away.

SpaceX uses a 'self-powered' Transporter/Erector for both F9 and FH.

Bonus points if you have the information for the F9 TE.

Do I get extra points for a video that actually shows it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaOVhRNtnWU

That looks like a plain transporter with no erection functionality. Its
transporting just a first stage (with interstage) and is much too short
for a full Falcon 9 with first stage + second stage + payload.

Here's an article with a very nice picture of the transporter erector at
Vandenberg:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/10/3...edure-fix-can-
allow-falcon-9-launches-to-resume/

Here is a great picture of the transporter erector at LC-40 at Cape
Canaveral:

https://www.spacex.com/news/2013/02/...uccessful-wet-
dress-rehearsal

And finally, here is an article with a picture of the transporter
erector used at KSC LC-39A.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-cre...launch-photos/

Pic of interest in above article (click on the picture to open up in new
window, then click again to expand; it's really detailed!):

https://www.teslarati.com/crew-drago...ollout-022819-
nasa-joel-kowsky-6-crop-c/

In the pictures above, you can see what looks like, to me anyway, a
fairly typical vehicle used at airports to tow aircraft around.

Jeff