Old October 27th 03, 07:40 PM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

Default There is very little probability of another ballistic landing

Hmm, I must confess, I haven't been paying much attention to this, but
in a CNN article (and perhaps I shouldn't take CNN seriously),
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

It notes that:
"Russian aerospace engineers said there was only a slim chance that this
crew would suffer from the same computer malfunction that sent the
station's previous inhabitants on such a steep trajectory home that
their tongues rolled back in their mouths." and that "There is very
little probability of another ballistic landing," said Gen. Vladimir
Popov, who heads the team responsible for Russia's space search and
rescue operations."

and perhaps most disturbingly:
"This Soyuz is still technically susceptible to the same type of problem
but the Russians believe they understand it well enough and they've
trained the crew ... so they can possibly do something manually to
override the computer," (the NASA spokesman) said.

Does this meet the safety standards for NASA? All these qualified
statements sound very fishy? Should they have sent up TMA-3 with
a single astronaut, and done an evacuation? (presuming the problem
is fixed with TMA-3), and then placed the new crew with TMA-4?

Nick