Old August 30th 03, 05:42 PM

Default Columbia: A Secret Contingency Plan?

That ice causes more damage then foam alone is obvious.

That's NASA-style thinking -- assumptions without analysis or testing.

And your assertion, which many people ('sheepishly raises hand') DID jump
to, turns out to be untrue.

My asseration was about a small ball of ice inside the foam debris.
The seperation of the foam from the ET was probably associated with an
older crack (hours or days old). And in such a crack ice accumulation by
cryopumping is a possibility. Thats my line of thinking and I assume
that of Schomburg & Co. too. In such scenario more weight and therefore
more damage is obvious.

Less obvious is whether a pice of ice alone seperated from the ET would
cause more damage then foam. My first guess is yes, second may be, third,
hm..., wait for the nummbers

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##