Old December 5th 06, 01:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
steve[_1_]

Default What would you like to be our major goals in space

What would you like to be our major goals in space over the next 50
years ?

Examples are :-

1) Landing a man on Mars
2) Return to the Moon
3) Un-manned exploration of planets and moons in the Solar System
4) Space Station expansion

I personally can not see much point in maintaining (or building in the
first place) the space station.

I would like to see a person step on to Mars as soon as possible mainly
because I think this will force us to develop new technologies quickly
allowing other missions to take place.
A permanent base on Mars would be cheaper and prefable rather than a
return trip if volunteers could be found (I would think that there
would be many volunteers even with the high risks and discomfort
involved).
This would force many technolgies to be developed and could be the
start of new colony for the human species. (A good insurance policy)

Un-manned exploration of the planets and moons in the Solar System
should continue with more emphasis on landings rather than just fly-bys
although Cassini has been an example of a mission of which I fully
approve.
Obvious targets are the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, with a landing and
possible descent in to Europa being a priority.