Old April 10th 05, 01:26 AM
Anon

Default Alt-Az vs Equatorial mount

I will soon be taking delivery of a new Meade 16" LX200 GPS model and have
some fundamental decisions to make about its set-up.

I want to get more involved in imaging and plan to buy a CCD imager after I
have familiarised myself with the 16".

I have one basic question: Alt-Az or equatorial mount?

My understanding of the need for an equatorial mount is to assist with
tracking accuracy and avoid the field rotation inherent in anything but
short exposure imaging.

But, these days, with stacked multiple-short-exposure CCD images, can the
alt-az mount achieve the same results as an equatorial, especially if the
telescope is fitted with a field de-rotator?

This would also avoid the difficulties of equipment clearance/eyepiece
position associated with aiming the scope towards the SCP which is the
region of some of our richest sky objects.

I am going to build the pier myself, so it makes no difference to me which
one I build, but I would like to get the choice right before I starting
cutting and welding.

regards

Colin James