Old December 29th 03, 04:14 AM
Michael A. Covington

Default AFOV vs Aperture Poll

"Bill Ferris" wrote in message

Where lunar/planetary observing is concerned, the 12-inch under would

obviously
outperform a pair of 10x50 binocs, regardless of light pollution. But for
deep-sky observing, dark and transparent skies are the key.

Given the choice between the binocs under pristine skies and a 12-inch

under
heavily light-polluted skies, I'd take the binocs under dark skies without
hesitation. And it wouldn't be a choice based on aesthetics. It would be

based
on the superior performance of the smaller aperture under truly dark

skies.

Amen! A few years ago, the tour guide at Kitt Peak was a little puzzled
that instead of lining up inside the 16-inch dome, I was outside reclining
on a boulder, using my 8x40 binoculars. But then I told him what I was
observing... galaxies down to 9th mag. or more... and so forth...

I can use a telescope back home. I can't see what I was seeing in those
binoculars!

(And boulders are handy too. We need one for the yard...)