Old May 3rd 14, 03:27 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

Default Getting our astronauts into and out of space

On Friday, May 2, 2014 8:24:22 PM UTC-4, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

Well then why hasnt indenpendnce hall in philadephia been torn down and the

libery bell scrapped to be melted into new products in china?

For a number of reasons:

1) People can actually visit them.

2) It also cost nothing to let them sit around if people wanted. (no one

proposed moving Independence Hall to the top of a mountain for example).

And you realize you're only seeing the stuff that is still preserved.

There's a lot of historical stuff that's long gone (first Liberty ship,

first steam locomotive, etc.)

Theres lots of irreplaceable stuff maintained at great costs in museums so

it can be seen in the future

Besides moving ISS, and hubble could be demos for new booster technology

What did the smithsonia air and space museumn cost to build and maintain

since inception?

Millions. But then again, the NASM is also one of the most visited museums

on Earth. I can guarantee that ISS in heliocentric orbit would be the least

visited.

Look, Bob, if you want to raise awareness, and try to save them. Go ahead.

I think you're facing an uphill battle. (pun intended.)

It would be a crime to intentionally send things like this to a firery end

to sink in the ocean....

once ISS or hubble were actually relocated and shut down with perhaps a beacon attached for tracking purposes, what costs will be incured?

Once its moved to a safe long term secure high orbit then they can be largely ignored till a future generation decide to take a close look..

Right now ISS has some ion thrusters on it....

Hubble could be moved slowly and gently over a period of years at low thrust till it reaches its graveyard orbit. High thrust wouldnt really be necessary