Old May 30th 11, 06:49 PM posted to sci.astro,talk.philosophy.misc,alt.atheism,alt.talk.creationism,alt.alien.research
Albert Tatlock[_2_]

Default Are we alone in our galaxy? ~~ How Long Would it Take

Jack McKinney wrote:
How long would it take for one advanced civilization to colonize an
entire galaxy... The answer is not very long ~~ relatively speaking
... if they started from the center of the galaxy... IN FACT IT COULD
HAPPEN IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE, SO TO SPEAK...

If this civilization had the capability of colonizing the 100 most
suitable planets every 1000 years, and then extending this distance
one light year every 1000 years, then the whole galaxy could be more
or less colonized in 50 million years ~~ since this galaxy has a
radius of 50,000 light years... and since 100 planets would be
colonized every 1000 years ~~ in 50 million years you could colonized
5 million planets....

If the average galaxy contains 100 of these advanced civilizations
then that *might* mean some 500 million colonized planets per
galaxy...

But the odds are a _WHOLE_ lot better than that, for after 10,000,000
years there would be 10,000 generations of these planned expansions,
WITH EACH GENERATION HAVING CREATED 100 ADDITIONAL CIVILIZATIONS ~~ so
to speak... So instead of just one civilization branching out 1 light
year every 1,000 years, you would have at the very least 1,000,000
different civilizations branching out one light year every 1,000 years
... and of course you would have branches within the branches...

What I getting at is this ~~ even if the theory of evolution were
true, and some such occurrence happened an average of once per
galaxy, the probability of life being created or deliberately placed
on any given planet would be quite high ... and BTW with so many
civilizations in each galaxy, the need to keep them separated might
be quite high; for each should be allowed to create their own
destiny...

Even with evolution, the probability of anything having evolved, as we
customarily think of evolution, .... subsequent to the initial
incident would be extremely small.

JUST A THOUGHT